Aromatherapy for Adrenal Fatigue.
Linda Anne Kahn HHP CLT-LANA CCN CIDESCO Clinical Aromatherapist
When a person is exposed to intense or prolonged stress due, the body reacts and the adrenal glands may become overworked and “fatigued”. This occurs when the adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of the perpetual “fight or flight” arousal. Chronic stress produces excess the adrenal hormone, cortisol which in excess can negatively affect our immune system, blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
The main symptom of adrenal fatigue is fatigue which is not relieved by sleep, mild depression and a general feeling of low energy. People suffering from adrenal fatigue often need to drink coffee, sodas and other stimulants to start their day.
Symptoms of stress are physical, mental, emotional and behavioural. These symptoms include depression, irritability, anger, aggression, weight gain (especially in the abdomen), difficulty concentrating, feelings of being overwhelmed, headaches, indigestion, constipation or diarrhoea, chronic minor ailments, odd aches and pains, palpitations and lethargy. You may also find yourself craving foods or sweets, being less social, unable to make decisions, procrastinating at work or avoiding responsibilities, wanting to cry, losing patience with loved ones and developing addictive behaviours or a pessimistic or negative outlook on life.
Poor dietary choices in addition to overwork can also contribute to this condition.
It is important to recharge, and do something that inspires or rejuvenates you on a daily basis. Re-evaluate your life, make some changes to your daily schedule and try to reduce some of the stress from your life.
Tips to keep your body in balance and avoid adrenal stress
• walk at the ocean
• schedule time for a massage
• take a yoga class
• spend time with someone you love
• exercise daily
Make dietary changes
• eat leafy greens daily or make green smoothies
• add more vegetables and fruits in your diet.
• eliminate refined and processed foods
• avoid fast foods
Aromatherapy for adrenal fatigue
• A blend of essential oils of spruce, pine and rosemary in a carrier oil of grapeseed oil can be massaged over the lower back for energy
• A blend of nutmeg, lavender, sweet orange and valerian in a base of jojoba oil can help to give a good night’s sleep.
• Essential oil of lemon, basil and clary sage can be diffused at your workstation or in your home to help with concentration.
As Owner, Founder and Medical Wellness Director of Beauty Kliniek Aromatherapy Day Spa & Wellness Center, Linda-Anne Kahn helps people achieve a balance of the body, mind and spirit. She is a certified Manual Lymph Drainage Therapist and Lymphedema Specialist and Clinical Aromatherapist